2019-2020 application deadlines:
- Applications for fall 2019 are due August 2, 2019
- Applications for winter 2020, are due November 22, 2019.
- Applications for spring 2020, are due February 28, 2020
- Applications for summer 2020 are due March 13, 2020
Please submit the following documents to Iranian Studies.
1. Application Cover Sheet:ISP Funding Application
2. Project proposal limited to 750 words, describing the project to be undertaken, its relevance to the study of Iran, and its significance for the student’s research and academic development. Include an outline of what funds will be used for.
3. Full academic CV, listing the applicant’s academic standing, previous academic accomplishments, publications and/or conference presentations.
4. A copy of unofficial transcript from AXESS, saved as a PDF document.
5. A single letter of recommendation from the applicant’s thesis advisor or the primary faculty member with whom s/he is working. The letter/s should speak to the specific project being proposed and sent directly by email to Roma Parhad.
Grant applications are reviewed by the Iranian Studies Program and decisions will be made within a month of the application deadline. For questions, please contact the Iranian Studies Associate Director.
Preference will be given to students minoring in Global Studies with a specialization in Iranian Studies and to applicants who have not previously received Iranian Studies funding. Funding is available to undergraduate and graduate students from any department.
Stanford policy may restrict undergraduate student travel to countries with State Department advisories. Click here for Stanford University’s International Travel Policy. Please contact the Iranian Studies program manager if you have questions about how this policy would affect your project or grant application.
The grant may be used for travel, lodging, and living costs associated with off-campus research or training; the purchase of research materials; research-related services (e.g. duplication costs, production of questionnaires/surveys, human subject costs, data entry, transcribing interviews, running focus groups); and costs associated with training (e.g. tuition, registration fees, tutoring costs).
Requests must be for expenses that are not covered through other sources of funding. Applicants may simultaneously apply for other sources of funding, but they may not accept multiple sources of funding for the same expenses. The itemized budget should clearly list sources of confirmed and/or pending funding.
Recipients are expected to submit a 1-2 page report upon the completion of their project, describing how the project has developed, what was learned, and next steps regarding their research project and career. Recipients who use the grant toward language training are also expected to submit a transcript or training completion certificate.